Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Augustus Caesar's Crowning

I can remember the day very clearly. Chilly with a slight drizzle of rain, but these things made no difference to me, it was the final day of my triumph! I had received a triple triumph, a day for each major battle I won: one day for conquering the pirates, one day for my win at Actium, and one day for my victory over Egypt! Dancers, the two milk-white bulls that were to be sacrificed, and many others led the procession. Beside me stood my stepson, Tiberius, and my nephew, Marcellus. We three rode in a gleaming chariot; I carried a scepter with the head of an eagle in my right hand. Behind us walked the senate. For the first time in decades one man was named ruler over Rome, me. The people of Rome gasped when they saw that I led the senate, it did not lead me. However, these people were soon to find that I truly tried to do what was best for Rome, not me. Over the chanting and marching I saw in the distance the gates of Janus. At last after years of war, these gates were closed. Little did anyone know, except perhaps me, that these gates would remain closed for 200 more years. For centuries more, peace would rule Rome. Ever since then, I have tried to do what is best for Rome. Yes, my rule was a bit like that of an emperor, but it was so because I believed that that would be the best way to govern Rome. True, the republic had worked well, but only when Rome was a tiny city-state. After I had conquered those many nations Rome turned into the ruler of countless peoples. We had to learn how to give them freedom, but not to let them turn rebellious. I asked my two best friends what their advice was on how to rule Rome. Their ideas were quite different, but I took that which I needed. Anyone can tell you that in the year 27 B.C., the year I was crowned governor of Rome, the government greatly improved. I have tried to serve Rome faithfully, that was certainly accomplished! Now, I must try and bring up Tiberius in the ways of a noble ruler, for he shall succeed me, and I must not bring shame upon the name of Caesar.

This narration was written as if by Augustus Caesar himself. I got the idea from my friend, Noah. He is a very good writer, keep writing, Noah!

No comments:

Post a Comment