Pages

Friday, June 23, 2017

My Nature Journal

Hello everyone! I think it is finally time that I give you a post about my nature notebook. I have been writing a series of posts about my journals (both for school and private use) and this notebook is highly deserving to be mentioned. 
My nature journal is probably one of the most difficult (and yet most rewarding!) journals that I have ever attempted. Why? Because it is a mixture of art and poetry, journaling and sketching, observing and copying, personalization and exact duplication. My nature journal is really quite unique from all other journals. 
Though this book is scheduled on my school checklist, I can do it whenever I want, and it is not restricted to school hours. This means that I can take this journal camping, to the woods, hiking, or wherever else I might be inspired to use it. That factor really makes my nature journal unique and diverse. 
So, what is a nature journal? Well, I think the best way to explain that to you is to tell you about a nature walk that I might take. During my nature walk, I keep on the lookout for a bird, animal, plant, insect, or any other living thing that is beautiful and that I want to remember. When I find it, I sketch the specimen in my journal and take the journal and specimen (if possible! If it is something like a bird or tree that I can't take home, I take a picture of it) back up to the house and finish drawing it with watercolors, colored pencils, and other art tools. While at the house, I look up (either in a field guide or on wikipedia) information about the specimen and write it down in my notebook. Sometimes I put a note about the day's weather the nature walk that I took. 
As you can imagine, between observing, sketching, drawing, learning, writing, and journaling, the information really sticks with you. Not only this, but you have a beautiful and special journal that holds memories and information that is interesting and helpful. A nature notebook really helps you appreciate the awesomeness of God's creation, and how vast his works are. Job 12:7-12 says:
“But ask the beasts, and they will teach you; the birds of the heavens, and they will tell you; or the bushes of the earth, and they will teach you; and the fish of the sea will declare to you. Who among all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this? In his hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind." How true this is! As we learn more about God's creation, we learn more about Him. That is the purpose of a nature journal.
So, how do you start your own nature journal? Well, all you need is a notebook, a pencil, and some inspiration. However, as you become better at journaling, and you spend more and more time doing it, chances are you will want to step up your game. I use this travelogue journal and these  Koi Watercolor brushes when journaling. Once you have your supplies, you are all set, and all you have to do is begin!
Though a little daunting at first, a nature notebook is very rewarding, and, once started, hard to put down. They truly bring satisfaction to the author, and are a useful tool that can be shown to others to help them in identification and inspiring them to make their own nature journal!



Resources that may help you:

This is a picture of one of my good friend's nature journal page. Check out her blog for other beautiful drawings!

This is a handy website that has an extensive list of animals in North America. Good for identification.

This website has tons of information about wildflowers in North America. Very helpful and detailed. 

On this website, you can find a very concise list of the birds (listed by species) that live in North America. 

This man has some very helpful videos on nature journaling. Take a look at his website for more!




No comments:

Post a Comment