Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Incas

Book of Marvels
Dear Priestesses,
You do not know me, but I am a friend, an Inca citizen. I was in Machu Picchu, Peru, when the Spaniards attacked, and saw you flee. I have no idea why the Spaniards took over, but there is a rumor that all they wanted was our gold. I am amazed at the Spaniard’s greed of gold. Why, they seemed amazed that we use it commonly! The metal is widely used here because we have so much of it. Priestesses, the reason I call is to tell you that Machu Picchu, our city of granite that equals the Aztecs in greatness, is in great danger, the Spaniards are in war mode, they are killing everyone, you left just in time! However, I doubt if you will remain hidden for long. Why if the Spaniards were able to find the trail, you would be ruined! So, I advise you to be on the lookout, and take great care of yourselves. I am too, fleeing the country. Sadly, I do not think that I will be able to make my escape, for I have started quite late. Right now I look back on Machu Picchu, our city of gold gleams in the sunset, the shining granite reflects the light, making it even brighter, a golden light on our mountain. Praise the sun-god! Let him grant me a safe journey! But here, I must end, for I see the Spaniards following closely. Travel safely, and may the sun-god always be with you!
Until we meet again,

A Loving Friend 

No comments:

Post a Comment